1935-1945: San Juan International Camp, San Juan Island
Directors: Frank and Lucille Henderson
- 1935—San Juan International Camp was established by Frank C. Henderson on San Juan Island's Westcott Bay, near Roche Harbor. Frank's dream was to bring boys from the United States and Canada together for a stimulating camping experience, similar to those he had participated in through the Boy Scouts' International Jamborees. About sixteen boys made up the first year's campers. Eight college and high school young men comprised the staff. All were housed in tipis and grouped into three units: Juniors, Middles, and Seniors.
- 1936—Thirty campers came this summer, divided into four units, renamed Tadpoles, Indians, Islanders, and Mountaineers. Mountaineering trips to the Olympics and the acquisition of a few horses provided added activities to hiking, swimming, boating, canoeing, sailing, crafts, and Indian dancing and lore.
- 1937—Sixty campers came this summer. All of the above activities were expanded, and singing was added. Two sessions, a “first” of six weeks and a “second” of three weeks were established. The Tadpoles were renamed Cavemen.
- 1938—Frank Henderson married Lucile Townsend, a Girl Scout executive and experienced camp director, leading to the inclusion of girls in the camp. Mountaineering Trip.
- 1941—With the draft, and war looming on the horizon, staffing became difficult, but attendance multiplied.
- 1942—Ten girls (sisters of boys attending camp) were enrolled in a new unit named North Star. The Henderson Ski Lodge (with skiing instruction and lodge living) opened at Snoqualmie Pass this winter, accepting boys and girls. The first of the “war years.” Enrollment increased, with a waiting list of over 200. The Olympic games were held at the end of the first session, and an Indian potlatch (but with no Northwest Coast dances) concluded the second session.
- 1943—The first Camp Calendar was issued. The Tarzan unit was established (in age between the Cavemen and Indian units). North Star was divided into Weavers, Archers, and Voyageurs.
- 1945—This was the last year of the camp on San Juan Island. The Hendersons were informed that their lease on Westcott Bay would not be extended. A search for a new campsite began. 310 acres on Lopez Island's Sperry Peninsula was purchased.