1946-1967: The Henderson Camps on Lopez Island
The Lodge on Sperry Peninsula
Directors: Frank and Lucille Henderson
- 1946—All removable materials (tent platforms, Craft Shop, boys' Shower House, etc.) were barged over from the San Juan Island site and re-erected on Lopez Island. The Main Lodge (office, dining area, and kitchen) and a new boys' Shower House were built of lumber and stone from the camp property by Lopez workmen. The 1876-8 “Kay House” (Lopez's first murder took place here in 1882) was rebuilt into the camp store, “Trader Horn.” The enrollment now was over 100 campers. Chapel Rock, Cactus Rock, Hidden Corral, Poker Chip Bay, Madrona and Mossy Plateaus, Sea Parrot Bluff, Octopus Cove, Agate Beach, and Tiderocks were named. An earthen dam was built at the head of the Great Meadow to enlarge the lake for the main water supply. “Come-outer spring” was tapped for drinking water. The caretaker was George “Mac” Mackinnon.
- 1947—The Capture-the-flag course was established. Rudimentary electric services, roads, and trails were extended. Uncovered stables and training area were built.
- 1948—Stable's Agate Beach was named. The new girls' Shower House was built, with the old one added onto Trader Horn for tool storage. Two six-acre tracts were added at the north end of the camp property.
- 1949—A twenty-acre tract was added along Rosario Strait.
- 1950—A fourteen-acre tract was added along Lopez Pass, including a toehold on Octopus Cove.
- 1951—The first Lightning sailboat, Flash, was purchased.
- 1952—Lake water was extended to all eight sections, and drinking water was piped to the shower houses.
- 1953—The length of the sessions was changed from 6 weeks/3 weeks to 5 weeks/3 weeks. A deck-level, saltwater, sun-heated (!) 30' X 60' pool was built. A fourth girls' unit, the Vagabonds (in age between the Archers and Voyageurs) was established. An eight-acre tract (Islander's ball field area) and the tidelands contiguous to the camp property were purchased.
- 1954—The Cook's Cabin was built.
- 1955—The length of the sessions was changed from 5 weeks/3 weeks to 4 weeks/4 weeks. A Kwakiutl Indian-style “Bighouse” (the Indian House) was built by staff and campers. The Potlatch was held here for the first time.
- 1956—The new Health Center and a second boys' Shower House were built.
- 1957—A Haida-style Whale Pole was carved and raised in the meadow near the entrance gate. Kwakiutl Indians (Chief and Mrs. Mungo Martin and family members) came to the Potlatch for the first time. A hay barn and covered feeding shelter were built at the stables.
- 1958—Sisiootlumala, a 24 foot Kwakiutl-style sealing canoe, was carved.
- 1959—Shakes were split with mallet and froe for half of the Bighouse roof. A new float was built.
- 1960—A new gate was built at the entrance, with Raven and Eagle gatepost figures, and a Knabbe grand-piano was purchased for the lodge.
- 1961—“Freddie,” the Kwakiutl-style welcoming figure, was carved and raised on Voyageur Point. Saddle Bay (later “Encounter Bay”) was purchased from the Hume family for overnight horseback trips.
- 1962—The new, full-sized caretaker's house was built. The Humspek Pole was carved and placed in the Indian House for the Hamatsa Dance.
- 1963—The remaining Bighouse roof was shaked and a Sisiootl arch carved and raised at the shore end of the pier.
- 1964—A third Lightning, Thor, was purchased. The fleet was now three Lightnings, ten canoes, and five rowboats (one with a motor for safety and work). A large Thunderbird figure was carved and raised to the peak of the Bighouse roof. The Watmough Bay site for overnights was purchased.
- 1965—The last twenty acres at the tip of Sperry Peninsula were purchased. The Sun Figure Pole was carved and raised at Encounter Bay.
- 1966—This was the last year of The Henderson Camps. The totem pole in front of the Bighouse was carved and raised.
- 1967—Frank and Lucile Henderson retired after 32 years as owners and directors and sold the property to a group of camp-related families. No camp was held this year, but a staff potlatch was held in the Bighouse.